Monday, February 19, 2007

Film: Fatale

You know those movies. The ones that waste a couple of hours off your day. The ones that waste Php. 200.00 worth of a gimmick. I'm sure you've had those. Well, I've had mine, too, and instead of getting me cooled down, it got me hyped up. I felt myself a bit more high-strung than when I entered the cinema. When I walked out, I was ranting with a rage and passion none of my friends could control. "Lizzie McGuire Movie" they called it. The only thing good about it was that it was rated G. But now I begin to wonder - since it didn't shock or giddy anyone off their seats, did this movie have a capability to bore them off their seats? Well, it certainly bored me off mine, and this movie turned out to be the kind of movie during which I wouldn't mind going to the bathroom.

Lizzie McGuire, in general, is something I find quite petty and dull. All the "Ugh!"s and the "Like"s killed me. And it's not even the terms I have problems with - it's how they tend to squeal them. I hope no one's actually been so influenced as to think this squealing is "cool." (Although I somehow feel that it's too late to hope for that.) But when I found out about the movie? I just wanted to laugh - laugh long and hard. Surely, this blonde Barbie has made a success of herself through this show. And the movie was certainly a step up from its on-set series. (Italy always charmed me.) But the story was quite... Typical, and really, I thought, anyway - a ploy to launch her would-be singing career.

The songs were catchy, I admit, albeit too teeny-bopper. But her voice was unlike any other. I'm a music fan, but that wanted to make me say "Music sucks!" Her oh-so-obviously technologically fixed vocals were disturbing, and her too-good-to-be-true story was laughable. I'm a romantic at heart - a great one, at that - but there really wasn't any romance in the movie. Come on, Barbie and the guy who looks like Fez from That 70's Show? Can't be expected from me. I've always believe that romance was to be left to the more mature, and more seasoned actors. Otherwise, all they'll pull off is something quite reminiscent of chewed-up bubblegum: (story) would be sweet, but face it, just isn't anymore, after the acting.

Cinematography and quality of the film itself were good enough. Nothing more is to be expected of a "tweener" movie. But, like I said, maybe the whole setting and story, the music and such - maybe it would've drawn out some emotion out of me had it been carried out by older actors. Or at least, actors who looked older, since I believe the actors in this movie were old, but didn't look it.

Animated films about animals have drawn out more emotion from me. Funny. In theory, a message being sent out from one man to another should evoke more emotion. Oh well. I always was an animal lover. Lizzie McGuire is an acquired taste kinda thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home